Crafts are my passion, Cats are my obsession

My crafting adventures, my cats, my dogs, my opinons - I never did keep a diary as a child, but I'm doing it now!

Friday, January 20, 2006

Let's see if I can find....

A suitable picture to share :)













Ok, so this is the Pacific Ocean, as it looks from the beach in Puerto Vallarta. Sadly, there is not much to show the scale - just how BIG those waves were.... And powerful.

I swam in that ocean.... In my life, I've swum in the Atlantic, and now I've swum in the Pacific :)

(Also in the Carribbean, but that's another story, lol)

Back to the waves. Many people question my sanity. Especially me. I do strange things all the time. I do crazy things, too.... Such as, I can't swim. I took lessons, but I never did get past the "beginner" level. I took lessons for six years. I never did get out of the "beginner" level. Why? Because I'm allergic to chlorine, which is used in public swimming pools. So, I refused to put my face in the water. Now, when you are a kid, and you won't do something, adults don't listen to why.... So, I was labeled "unco-operative" and "misbehaving" when really, I was trying to say "I CAN'T", not "I won't". But, I digress.... Point is, I have spent enough time playing around in a lake to know that I can swim to save my life, even if my technique isn't "Proper". So. I went into the ocean..... (Can't come home and say I spent two weeks at the beach and didn't even get wet!!)

Now, I saw other people in the ocean. And they were body surfing. That is fun to do - I've done it somewhat in a lake before. So, I knew the waves were big. I knew, too, from standing at the edge of the water that these waves were strong. I knew that I'd need to keep my wits about me, be carefull, all that. No problem. I started walking into the water, getting wetter and wetter, used to the coolness - and felt the waves sucking at the rings on my finger.... So, I went back and put the rings and my earrings into the beach bag with DH, and went back into the water to swim.

Catch the insanity part yet? :) The waves are strong enough to suck rings of a person's finger, and that person who can't swim (isn't a strong swimmer, no practice, etc.) is going to go play in those waves.

Well, I did get wet all over.... Had sand pounded into my hair by the waves. Had sand pounded into my body by the waves. And, every time I tried to get out far enough to try body surfing, had the waves throw me back onto the beach. I'm not exaggerating that one - the ocean kept throwing me out!!!! >:(

Finally, exhausted, I gave up.... Started walking out.... saw a big wave coming - walked back intot the water just in time to brace myself - if I'd caught that wave lower, it probably would have broken my shins!!! As it was, it nearly knocked me over hitting me around hip-height!!

But, at least I can say I've swum in the Pacific!!!!

And, the next time I got the urge to swim, I used the hotel pool :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


  Plan your trip
  Local Radar
  Detailed Forecast


Click for Puerto Vallarta, Mexico Forecast Click for Winnipeg, Manitoba Forecast
adopt your own virtual pet!
adopt your own virtual pet!
adopt your own virtual pet!