Crafts are my passion, Cats are my obsession

My crafting adventures, my cats, my dogs, my opinons - I never did keep a diary as a child, but I'm doing it now!

Monday, January 30, 2012

Afghan nearly done

I started on the last ball of the red variegated.  By rough estimate, that means I have about 32 more rows to do, then I can decide if I want to run an edge around the whole thing, or just weave in ends.  I'm really liking how it is turning out - both for looks and for size. 

Then, when that is done, I am going to tackle some of those socks again.  Really need to get them done.  And I really also need to get off my butt and do that cape.  I also really need to get going on that craft room.  I start to make some progress, then I get wrapped up in looking at everything.  I need to just box it all up, and stack the boxes out of the way, so I can get some sort of shelves or other organizational stuff going.  Really - I did have a desk that I used as a sewing table, but it was my son's desk, and he wanted it... so I had to give it up.  Bought myself a used desk from a thrift store, but somehow, it never made it upstairs - became a spare desk desk.  I do have one shelf unit - an old metal type book shelf from the late '60's early '70's.  Not very wide, and only three shelves.  Good for books, but not a lot, as it isn't very strong.  And I have an ironing board.  Oh, and a chair.  So - you can see how there aren't many options for organizing the room.  Originally, I was going to use plastic tubs and sturdy cardboard boxes, marked... Well, that meant, of course, that I started piling boxes into the room - and instead of putting things into proper boxes, I would "temporarily" put bags of stuff in the room, then a few loose items, then a pile of books (because I couldn't get to the book case) and so on, until it became the mess it is.  Now, I'm faced with emptying it, sorting it all out, getting rid of the things I know I won't use, finishing the projects that are half done, and seeing where I'm at with everything else.  For the most part, I haven't really come across a lot of things I didn't know I had - yes, I mentioned a book the other day - but mostly it is a case of I knew I had the stuff, but I admit I lost track of where it was.  Like, in which corner it had been put, pushed, thrown, etc.  I also hadn't realized just how much crochet thread I'd picked up over the years from the thrift store... I had a pretty good idea about most of the other yarn I have; run into the odd ball that must have been in a bag inherited or given to me by someone along the way (some of my friends/acquaintances know I knit and crochet, and would often give me stuff from a parent or grandparent, or an abandoned project - fortunately, not too many of those!).  Those balls I may keep or may pass on to someone else who can make good use of it.

Anyway - there is my confession for the day - I have a problem, and I admit it.  I have more yarn than I can store, and I am not willing to give it all up!!  I will give up some - I have to.  But not all of it!! I plan on living for a lot more years, and I didn't buy a lot of that yarn and those patterns (or save free patterns etc.) unless I liked them and wanted them.  But, since I was given a lot, or bought a bag of assorted yarns from the thrift store that came with yarns I could take or leave in with the balls I wanted for whatever purpose, I am sure I can pass on some of the yarns I really don't care for - colour is usually the deciding factor - or I can just get going on working on some scrap yarn afghans.  Knitting various rows or squares, crocheting granny squares, and using whatever leftovers then joining into a blanket later.  Or, maybe get back into doing some of the graph afghans, and using up some colours that way.

I mean, even if I end up with an excess of afghans - I can always donate the finished ones to some of the animal shelters or homeless shelters.  Heck, I could even whip up some pairs of mittens for the homeless...

For now, though - Time to get off this machine, and on with housework and a couple small errands.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


  Plan your trip
  Local Radar
  Detailed Forecast


Click for Puerto Vallarta, Mexico Forecast Click for Winnipeg, Manitoba Forecast
adopt your own virtual pet!
adopt your own virtual pet!
adopt your own virtual pet!