Crafts are my passion, Cats are my obsession

My crafting adventures, my cats, my dogs, my opinons - I never did keep a diary as a child, but I'm doing it now!

Monday, August 20, 2012

Not updating, but jumping in with all new info.

I should get around to updating what has been happening since my daily posts stopped.  But I'll need to re-read my last few posts, so I know what I *have* talked about, and what I haven't.  And today is not the day for that.

So instead, I'm going to talk about a plan I have for September.  One that I hope will be easy enough to execute, despite some challenges....

It all started some time ago, when I started checking a webpage every day, called One Pretty Thing .  They show a variety of links to blogs with various craft projects.  They have, for example, posts called "Daily Do It Yourself".  They also have "Kid's Craft Round Up".  Or sometimes it might be a "Crafty Food Round UP".  Or Knitting, or holiday related.  Or whatever.... there is even an archive you can check, to see what they've posted in the past.  I've found some cool stuff.  And some "out there" stuff, too.

One of the posts was about a crocheted goldfish.  But not just any gold fish.  A "plarn" goldfish.  Or beta fish.  Anyway, I loved it.  I want to make one.  As soon as I figure out the right way to work with plastic yarn, or "plarn" or recycled plastic bags.  I tried it once, years ago, and had a great deal of difficulty.  Not sure whether it was the plastic hook, or if I'd saved the bags too long and they degraded, or what, but I wasn't very successful.  I was going to use plastic bread bags to make a door mat... I found the stitches were very tight, and I couldn't slide the hook through them well - it kept sticking.

But the cute little fish is making me want to try again.

And I started reading the blog.

More recently, Trish (the blogger behind the plarn fish) wanted to get back to her painting.  So, she decided to commit to doing a small 4 X 4 picture every day, for 30 days.  She kept the supplies handy on her kitchen counter, so that it would be easy for her to do.  At the end, she mentioned that she did it with dollar store supplies.

Now, many years ago, like, back when I was around 10 years old, I wanted to grow up to be an artist.  A painter.  I bought or asked for Christmas gifts various paint sets.  I took some lessons in painting.  I wasn't bad, if I do say so myself.  But, there were reasons that I ended up abandoning the idea.  Painting became difficult, due to some issues that were happening at the time.  Well, that is now a very long time ago, and I've done a lot of healing since then.  And Trish has inspired me to maybe pick up a paint brush again.

Especially if it can be done with inexpensive supplies from the dollar store!!

I guess I realized, that to continue the healing process, I need to see if I can still paint, if it can bring me the happiness it once did.  Not that I need yet another hobby; knitting, crocheting, quilting, spinning, cross stitching and the hose of other things I do are probably more than enough.  And if I were to get back into painting big-time, it could get costly for supplies, not to mention, space to store it all!!!  So, honestly, I don't want to get back into it and fulfill that dream of becoming "an artist".  However, I think I want to try painting again anyway.  And like I said, Trish has inspired me.  And I think it will be good for me to finish healing.  I hope it helps!

But the challenge.... I'm not quite ready to explain it properly to my husband.  First off, there is the hobbies I already have, and am finding it hard to organize properly in the space I have.  So trying to explain to him that what I want to do is going to take up very little space.  Second, I know he was supportive of my interest in art when we met, but at that time, the hurt was too fresh, and I didn't pursue it then.  I don't know if he'd still be as encouraging, especially if he thought it might grow (it won't, really, I just want to know if I can do it).  Third - he's planning to take his holidays from work for two or three weeks in September.  It was going to be hard enough to paint on weekends with him around, and trying to explain why I was doing it.  Now he's going to be underfoot for most of the month.

But, I'm going to give it a shot anyway.  I'm going to start on September 1, and try to paint a small square every day.  And I'm going to fight the negative thoughts (if you couldn't blog every day because you ran out of ideas, how will you paint something every day?) and try to do one small picture a day.  I found a sketchbook with 30 pages at the dollar store.  I just need to decide if I'm going to use a page each day, and make something small in the middle but with the option to fill the page, or if I'll cut the pages in half, or into smaller squares.  Trish went with 4X4 inches.  The sketchbook says the pages are 9 X 12 inches, so I could go with a 3X3 square.  I'm still debating....  I have time.

And I'll try to take pictures at least every few days.

Wish me luck!

1 Comments:

  • At 9:27 a.m., Anonymous trish said…

    thank you so much for mentioning my blog posts! i'm happy to hear that you're thinking about trying to make the plarn fish and painting-a-day! all my best wishes! i hope that you will find joy in the process.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


  Plan your trip
  Local Radar
  Detailed Forecast


Click for Puerto Vallarta, Mexico Forecast Click for Winnipeg, Manitoba Forecast
adopt your own virtual pet!
adopt your own virtual pet!
adopt your own virtual pet!