Crafts are my passion, Cats are my obsession

My crafting adventures, my cats, my dogs, my opinons - I never did keep a diary as a child, but I'm doing it now!

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Once a year

Once a year, around Easter, stores start selling "Hot Cross Buns".  I guess they are "hot" because you are supposed to heat them up, or cook and eat them fresh.  I remember them being around when I was a kid- my mother would buy (make?  hm, have to ask my sister about that) them, and have them around.  I recall trying one, and finding the dried fruit in it to be "gross".  (we didn't use that word back then, but it applies, lol).  I didn't like *any* dessert/bread thing with that dried fruit in it.  I guess it had an overpowering citrus-y taste, and since I recently found out I have a mild allergy to oranges, (yes, I was tested by an allergist, I thought I just didn't care for oranges) I can see why I would not like fruit cakes and such.  Strangely, though, since becoming an adult, I've discovered I *LIKE* Hot Cross Buns.  I also buy dried fruit from the bulk food store for snacks...

Tastes obviously change over time - Things that my husband wouldn't touch when we got married are among his favourites now. 

What I'm not sure of, is how or why I tried one of the buns to discover I like them now.  One would think that one would want to avoid something based on memory of not liking it!

Well, either way, on Thursday, I bought a package of 16, and there are 7 left - and I'm thinking about going to eat a couple for my breakfast when I'm done here :)  Maybe I might warm one up in the microwave, just to try it "hot" :)

In the meantime - I finished the third motif for the leg of the Sea Cruise 2 sock, so I'm ready to start the heel.  And I have replotted the plans for the shawl, so now I need to start creating graphs (and I still best knit up that swatch!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


  Plan your trip
  Local Radar
  Detailed Forecast


Click for Puerto Vallarta, Mexico Forecast Click for Winnipeg, Manitoba Forecast
adopt your own virtual pet!
adopt your own virtual pet!
adopt your own virtual pet!