Crafts are my passion, Cats are my obsession

My crafting adventures, my cats, my dogs, my opinons - I never did keep a diary as a child, but I'm doing it now!

Thursday, February 23, 2012

What to write about

Don't know what to write about again.  I put my camera on the table beside the laptop.  I put the cord beside the camera.  But didn't plug the cord into the camera or the laptop.  And, lately, I've been sharing all pictures in groups!  So, I don't have any ready to show you.

I worked on the Hermione sock again last night.  Got the cuff done, and a few rows into the leg.  Haven't taken a picture - need it to get a little longer, I think.  And, I've proved something.... That it is important (I kind of already knew this part) to stay within needle types/brands for a project. Sure, lots of patterns tell you to switch from one length of needle to another, or sometimes you switch sizes for certain parts.  And some recommend a switch from circular to double points, or vice versa.  In some cases, the brand or type doesn't matter at the switch, because it is often for another section entirely - like the rib waste band, or picking up for a collar, etc.  BUT - when you are making something, and need to switch out needles for other reasons, such as because one keeps breaking... It can have a dramatic effect on the project. 

I've already shared a picture of what can happen when you are out by one stitch.  If I were using solid coloured yarn, that wouldn't have mattered one tiny bit.  But I'm not - I'm using a yarn that is referred to as a "print". 

Ombre yarns are one colour scheme, but varying degrees of colour - eg, dark blue, medium blue, light blue, and the gradation is over several inches or even feet of yarn.  Variegated is the same idea - longer stretches of colour, but varied - such as red, blue, white, yellow.  This may repeat in reverse order, or the same order.  When the portions of yarn that is one of these colours or tones is very long, the result is a striping effect.  Some yarns have shorter stripes, meant to appear on socks or scarves, while others will have longer sections to be used for larger items like sweaters.  Then, there is what is called the "print" - usually  one base colour, then small bits of one or more other colours of an inch or less. 

Depending on the project, the size of needles, the individual tension of the knitter/crocheter, these non-patterning variations may still end up "pooling" or even striping.  In some cases, the colour will be randomly distributed throughout a piece, while in others, there might be sections where the same colour ends up.  One of the reasons I had wanted to crochet the afghan with that red variegated - I thought with crochet using up more yarn to create stitches, it would help to avoid a lot of the pooling potential. 

When knitting socks, the put up of the yarn used can make a difference to the end results, too.  If the yarn is sold in 50 gram balls, requiring one ball for each sock, it is possible to get two different socks, even within the same dyelot.  The machinery used to wind the yarn into balls is  not as precise as we'd like to think.  When the yarn has reached the correct weight or yardage, the yarn is cut and another ball started - there can be slight variations in the spacing in relation to the colour patterning on the yarn.  So, you can get two balls of yarn, and they might have ends that start in two different places in the sequence.  One such case still has me baffled as to how it happened - I start balls of yarn off from the inside end.  I had two balls of matching yarn, that I was going to use to knit my husband a pair of socks.  As neither of us is overly fussy, I didn't worry about matching the start point in the yarn.  However, what I did notice as I knit the leg - one ball had a sequence of colour stripes that went A-B-C-D-E-A-B-C-D-E etc.  The second ball went E-D-C-B-A-E-D-C-B-A etc.  Both from the same dyelot, same company, both pulled from the center of the ball....  And,, of course, there will be variation if working with a handpainted yarn - by definition, the hand painted yarns are just that - someone will add colour to each individual hank of yarn, and variation will occur.  Each ball will be unique, even if it contains the same colours.  But that is the beauty of handpainted yarn!

Larger 100 gram balls shouldn't have a problem with variations. Some people will wind off half the ball, and line up the colour repeats, so they can make two socks the same.  Other people don't mind slight variations in starting points. 

So - imagine my surprise when I started the reknit of the second Hermione sock.  Yes, there is the potential for me to have some differing personal tensions, since it has been quite some time since starting the first sock (yet another good reason to be knitting two socks at the same time, whether on circulars or by having two sets of dpns on the go at once).  I know that the reason I was getting stripes spiraling around the second sock had to do with the number of stitches changing.  But now?  Like I said, you'll have to wait a bit for the picture, but I'm still having some spiral striping issues with the reknit.  I'm not starting again - I want these socks to get finished!! 

Tonight will be some working on these socks during Big Bang Theory.  Then I'll probably switch to working on Sea Cruise.  I still need to hunt up a fresh needle for the mystery socks, and since I've now freed up the other needle, I might go back to working on the sock I took off it so I could do the mystery sock.  I can't recall if I took pictures or not - it is a striping yarn with black cuffs, heels, and toes...I'm not up to the toe yet on the first one, and it will be afterthought heels, so I haven't done that yet either. 

Well, guess that is it for now.

I thought I might have written about something else, but I guess not.  It was suggested to me that I consider going back to counseling, but I don't know if I want to.... Not yet, anyway....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


  Plan your trip
  Local Radar
  Detailed Forecast


Click for Puerto Vallarta, Mexico Forecast Click for Winnipeg, Manitoba Forecast
adopt your own virtual pet!
adopt your own virtual pet!
adopt your own virtual pet!