Crafts are my passion, Cats are my obsession

My crafting adventures, my cats, my dogs, my opinons - I never did keep a diary as a child, but I'm doing it now!

Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Needle Review....

Well, I'm eating my words... I think. I have always stated that I love my Boye needles more than any other. I have tried some Bates brand needles and crochet hooks, and am not at all fond of them. I still own them, and occassionally use them - they come in different mm sizes than the Boyes, and sometimes that matters. I like the feel of the Crystallites hooks - haven't tried the needles yet but I'm getting tempted, seeing them at work all the time...

I have tried/own some "off brands" of knitting needles - plastic or plastic coated metal ones - usually sell outs from stores or whatever. Clearance, firesales, closeouts, promos, yardsales, etc. Some are good in a pinch, others make me wonder what the heck I`m hanging onto them for. I`ve tried some Lantern Moon needles - not bad, but I wouldn`t invest in more of them. I`ve tried Bryspuns - I am not too crazy about them. Way too flexible.

I have an addi turbo circular. I`m keeping it, and using it for a scarf (wonder if that is why it is taking me so long to knit the scarf?) but I don`t like it much and won`t buy more.

I started knitting a sock, for the 'Sockamania' group - joined it from Ravelry, and I`m having a problem trying to post to the blog for it, and I need to find time to clean up my sidebar here and include the link and all that - anyway, was starting a sock, and decided, just for fun, that I would give bamboo needles a shot. After all, I can`t really say anything one way or another about bamboo needles if I haven`t tried them. And, since I get a discount at work.... I bought a set of 2.75 mm bamboo needles, along with the yarn I`d need for the socks, and started them on my lunch break the other day. Well.... After lunch I had to buy another set of bamboos in 3.25 mm. Not because the 2.75 were wrong - but because I also plan to knit up a pair of heavier wool socks for DH, and need that size needle to do it.... In other words, I discovered that I *LOVE* the bamboo needles....

Yes, I still like my Boyes, but I think I might just be using a lot of bamboo needles in the near future... Might even pick up a bamboo circ for one of the lace shawl KAL`s starting in January....

Just to try it out, of course :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


  Plan your trip
  Local Radar
  Detailed Forecast


Click for Puerto Vallarta, Mexico Forecast Click for Winnipeg, Manitoba Forecast
adopt your own virtual pet!
adopt your own virtual pet!
adopt your own virtual pet!