Crafts are my passion, Cats are my obsession

My crafting adventures, my cats, my dogs, my opinons - I never did keep a diary as a child, but I'm doing it now!

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Well, time to update... :)

I'm still working on figuring out the picture stuff, and all that. Will try more later, have a friend who is a blogger too helping.

So, last night, I went to our local Chapters store, where once a month some local gals have a knit together. I love that.... Laughing, knitting (well, last night I worked on a crochet project) and talking - nice to have friends!!!

My mother taught me to knit, way back before I started school. She also taught me embroidery and latch hook, as well as basics of weaving, but for now, I am going to talk knitting :) Anyway, my sister is also a knitter, but hadn't done much knitting until recently. I got her back into it! But, since Mom passed away, I was really somewhat of a loner for knitting or crafting of any kind. I think I mentioned in a previous post that I taught myself most of the other crafts I do. Some time around 1990,* I had recently quit smoking, and had finished University but didn't have a job, and decided I'd like to learn to make a quilt. Quilting was not quite on its full upswing (crafts seem to go in popularity waves) yet, and I had difficulty finding anything in the magazine section in the store. I did find a mixed craft magazine, mostly knitted sweaters, that had a few variety patterns, including a couple quilts. But also some cross stitch and crochet. So, I taught myself those.... Cross stitch is a variation of embroidery, but really does belong in a class by itself - same with needle point and petit point. Anyway.... Because I didn't know anyone else who did any of these crafts, I had to teach myself. Although, back then, I could still talk knitting with Mom. Since she died, though, I was a loner. I tried to find out about guilds... But I didn't know how to find them. I've since learned things like a) they cost money (which I really don't have in large supply!) and b) they don't really exist here... We have a "crafts guild" which has all the different crafts under its umbrella, but not an individual knit guild, or quilt guild, or crochet guild.... I've also heard that they are a tad "elitist", too....Not my kind of group at all!!!!

I like to laugh.... And I like to do the best I can. No yarn snob here.... No _______ Police here, either - you know what I mean, the ones that say you can't do something? Or you're not doing it "right"? Like the ones that say if you knit holding the yarn in the left hand vs right hand or is it right hand vs left hand? that you knit wrong? Or that you aren't really knitting if you use acrylic yarn? (I had someone tell me that on an email list once!!!!)

So, all that digression was to introduce the fact that I had a blast last night! Got to spend time with people who share at least one interest with me, and sometimes other interests, and some differences - but we could all talk and laugh together and get along - and help each other out with suggestions, etc. Boy, what I've been missing all these years!

*boy, that number looks weird now!! wasn't that long ago, but it feels like I'm talking about a century ago, lol

1 Comments:

  • At 1:57 p.m., Blogger Catlady said…

    OH, I agree, that in some cases, guilds can be good things. But where I live, the only guild is the umbrella guild, and the $50 a year gets you the priviledge of renting a table at their craft sale(s) and putting your stuff in their consignment shop... In other words, it is more of a commercial operation than an opportunity for people of like interests to get together.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


  Plan your trip
  Local Radar
  Detailed Forecast


Click for Puerto Vallarta, Mexico Forecast Click for Winnipeg, Manitoba Forecast
adopt your own virtual pet!
adopt your own virtual pet!
adopt your own virtual pet!